A veggie burrito is a delicious and satisfying meal that can be customized with your favorite ingredients. It usually consists of a flour tortilla filled with rice, beans, vegetables, cheese, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. You can make it vegan by using tofu instead of cheese and dairy-free alternatives for the sour cream and guacamole.
How to make veggie burritos
To make veggie burritos, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 large or 8 small tortilla wraps
- 2 cups of cooked rice (you can use white, brown or wholegrain rice)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of chipotle paste
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, sliced (you can use any color you like)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheese, salsa, lettuce and olives for topping (optional)
Step 1: Make the chipotle black beans
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the garlic for a minute. Add the chipotle paste and stir well. Add the black beans and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened. Stir in half of the cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Make the lime and red onion rice
In a large bowl, toss the cooked rice with the lime juice and the remaining cilantro. Add the red onion and season with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Make the avocado cream sauce
In a blender or food processor, combine the avocado, yogurt or sour cream, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Step 4: Cook the vegetables
In another skillet over high heat, heat some oil and cook the bell peppers and onion for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until charred and tender. Sprinkle with the taco seasoning and toss to coat.
Step 5: Assemble the burritos
Warm the tortillas in a microwave or oven until soft and pliable. Spoon some rice over each tortilla, leaving some space around the edges. Top with some black beans, cheese (if using), salsa (if using), lettuce (if using) and olives (if using). Drizzle some avocado cream sauce over everything. Fold the bottom edge of the tortilla over the filling, then fold in the sides and roll up tightly. Cut in half and enjoy!
Tips and variations
- You can use any kind of beans you like instead of black beans, such as pinto beans, kidney beans or chickpeas.
- You can add more vegetables to your burritos, such as corn, zucchini, mushrooms or spinach.
- You can make your burritos spicier by adding more chipotle paste, jalapeno or red chili flakes to your beans, rice or sauce.
- You can make your burritos ahead of time and freeze them for later. Just wrap them individually in foil or plastic wrap and store them in a freezer bag. To reheat them, unwrap them and microwave them for a few minutes or bake them in an oven at 375°F for about 15 minutes.